Conveyancing – Buying
The conveyance procedure in Spain can be riddled with problems that may lead to costly mistakes. It is strongly recommended a specialist lawyer is hired to safeguard your interests and help you wade through the admin minefield. Registered Lawyers have a Professional Indemnity Insurance which can be claimed upon in the event of malpractice or negligence. Please read Buying Property in Spain – 10 Reasons to Hire a Lawyer which lists the most frequent kind of abuses a buyer may be faced with without appointing legal representation.
Legal fees: From €995
Our all-inclusive service offers:
- Deal only with native English-speaking lawyers.
- Legal searches on the property.
- Apply for a NIE number.
- Brief Report on Title to client.
- Verification of compliance with Licence of First Occupation, Energy Performance Certificate, outstanding Community of Owner's fees, etc.
- Verification of tax liability on the property.
- Verification of utilities liability on the property.
- Breakdown of associated expenses and taxes.
- Free English translation.*
- Negotiate purchase conditions with other party.
- Drafting of the Private Purchase Contract.
- Arrange signing of deed before a Notary Public.
- Assistance at Notary Public.
- Calculating, filing and payment of associated buying taxes and charges.
- Lodging Title Deed at the Land Registry.
*contract translation incurs additional fees.
Buying – 10 Reasons to Hire a Lawyer in Spain
- Legal independence. Larraín Nesbitt Lawyers is totally independent. You should avoid using a lawyer recommended by an estate agent and most certainly never use the developer´s own lawyer. If it is gratis, it is for a good reason!
- Registered professionals. Larraín Nesbitt Lawyers only employ qualified and registered Abogados. Registered abogados are subject to disciplinary action by the Bar Association so must conduct themselves honourably to continue practising else risk being barred.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance. Registered lawyers have Professional Indemnity Insurance in place in the event of malpractice or negligence. Currently this cover stands at €800,000 with Larraín Nesbitt Lawyers.
- No language barrier. All our staff speak and write English fluently, besides other languages. Nothing will be lost in translation!
- No hidden extras. We will provide you with a written quote so you are sure that there are no unpleasant surprises. We will provide you with a clear breakdown of costs in English, or your chosen language, beforehand.
- Free escrow service. Larraín Nesbitt Lawyers keeps a separate client account.
- Accountability. We will give you an invoice, statement of all expenses and written advice. Larraín Nesbitt Lawyers will put everything in writing.
- Transparency. You will receive a written report in English, clearly setting out the terms of your contract, with a description of the property you are buying including any community facilities, such as pools, golf course etc.
- Ongoing communication and post-service. For resale properties, your lawyer will inform you about the description as described in the Nota Simple and Title deeds. Remember; it is your responsibility to check the description of the property carefully with what you have seen and inform us if there are any differences. Some building reforms are undertaken without proper approval (unregistered property extensions) and there is no way for your lawyer to know about this. Which is why we recommend arranging a snagging list beforehand.
- Conveyancing can be arranged in your absence. If granting a Power of Attorney, our law firm will ensure you understand what powers you are giving and for how long those powers last. Normally the powers you give your lawyer are on-going unless you expressly revoke them.
We will be very pleased to discuss your matter with you. Please contact us for a free initial consultation. You can contact us by e-mail at email@example.com, by telephone on 951 894 675 or by completing our contact form.
Buying property related articles